Pages

Friday 13 January 2012

Second Wave of DC Comics' 'New 52'

Assemble! Wait, wrong team...
DC Comics have just announced that, in May, six new series will be joining the original 52 that were (re)launched back in August/September.  These come at the cost of a corresponding six of those original titles, however, to keep the number of 'new' monthlies at 52.  Read after the jump for the lowdown!

The Newbies
Batman Incorporated
I recently mentioned in my Dish's Stack column that I did not know very much about the global initiative that is Batman Inc. but was interested in finding out more - now I (and you) have a chance to do that!  Grant Morrison will be helming this title, with Chris Burnham taking on artistic duties.  I am currently loving Morrison's Action Comics so, having just dropped a Batman monthly, I will certainly be picking this up to see what he can do with the Dark Knight!


Earth 2
DC really tried to drive it home that all of the New 52 are taking place in the same world at around the same time (bar a few exceptions), so it is interesting that they are releasing a series that is so obviously set on a parallel Earth.  In this book the Justice Society will be taking on threats that will take them to other worlds, and potentially other Earths.  Because that's where this is going to lead isn't it?  This is the beginning of DC reintroducing their concept of multiple (infinite) realities to the newcomers - which is fine by me!  It is a great premise for making the DC Universe much grander, so long as it doesn't get too convoluted!


World's Finest
Another Earth 2 based series, except this one is about two heroes finding themselves stranded on our world, trying to find their way back home.  More evidence of future inter-mingling between versions of Earth, this could be an interesting comic, as it has its long-term goal set out from the very beginning and, therefore, a logical conclusion.  Maybe more comics should take this rout - having a clear end-game that can be worked towards more quickly/gradually depending on how successful the series gets; something to think about..


Dial H
Based around the effects that gaining superpowers may have on a person's mind, this is the first series from acclaimed author China MiĆ©ville.  A cool concept, if done well, I can see this giving rare insight into the psychological effects being a superhero can have on a person.  I'll have to try to remember to pick this up when it drops in May.


G.I. Combat
This is the return/reboot of the series The War That Time Forgot, which I must admit I had not heard the tiniest thing about; then when researching this article I find out it is essentially Soldiers Vs. Dinosaurs!  Apologies if I am simplifying this derogatively, but that sounds awesome!  This series will be backed up with alternating stories from The Unknown Soldier and The Haunted Tank, which tells me this is going to be quite an armed-forces-centric comic - not really my cup of tea so I'll probably wait for reviews before deciding whether or not to get this one.


The Ravagers
This is apparently a spin-off book from Teen Titans and Superboy, neither of which have a read a single issue of - though i may be picking this one up!  It tells the story of four super-powered teens on the run from an organisation that wants to turn them into Super Villains, which sounds pretty cool to me!




The 'Cancelled'
Fortunately, I do not collect any of the comics that are 'concluding' in April; unfortunately, that means I don't have an awful lot to say about them.
The cancelled titles are Black Hawks; Hawk and Dove; Men At War; Mister Terrific; O.M.A.C. and Static Shock.
What I will say is that this announcement comes as quite a shock to me and, I would guess, the comic community as a whole.  I think most people assumed that all of the New 52 titles would get a full year's run, with DC able to cull the herd next September, giving both the creators and the readers a sense of closure - it made sense to me!  These six titles only getting eight issues seems a little wrong to me.  Though, if any of these new titles are good, I'm sure any feelings of injustice will wash away from me and any other new readers.  I know I have high hopes!


Do you read any of the cancelled series?  Are they good?  Let us know in the comments.



Follow me on Twitter for not-so-occasional insights into the geek world: @IFeed_Dish

Dish Out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment