Pages

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Dish's Stack - Marvel and DC Comics 25/01/2012

Last week was a pretty big pile o'comics for me, even with Justice League being delayed, so it's with some slight relief that I have an averagely sized stack to buy this week.  There are two Fantastic Four comics out this week, and I'm also going to be jumping into Deadpool with its point one issue leading into an arc that sounds pretty interesting.  Read about my thoughts on these series, and more, after the jump!


Aplha Flight #8
This is the final issue of the limited series, and it's been quite a ride!  Starting off as a tie-in to Fear Itself this series then quickly established itself with an interesting story full of betrayal and conspiracy, culminating in this week's final showdown between Alpha Flight and Master of The World (unusual name).
I am expecting many twists and explanations in this final issue, to get the full picture of what has been going down these past few months, and I really hope we get them!
I have not read anything about the future of the Alpha Flight team or its members, but I doubt it will be long before one or more of them turn up in another book - the characters are good enough to not be left alone for long.

Deadpool #49.1
Deadpool has interested me for a while (I was getting Deadpool Max before I somehow lost track of the scheduling of that comic) so this Point One issue seems to be a pretty good jumping on point as it comes right before a major story arc.
The Dead arc, starting next month in Deadpool #50 sees the Merc with a mouth finally grow sick/bored of being alive, and he attempts to see if he can kill himself; but having incredible healing powers, this is much more difficult than I'd wager he anticipated.
The arc has been quite hyped up from Marvel, so I'm expecting good things.  I think I also read that there will be repercussions for the rest of the Marvel Universe relating to the goings-on of this event, so that should be interesting also. (Update: While writing this I found out that Moon Knight is being cancelled as of issue 12 in April, so it's kind of lucky i'd already decided on a new series to pick up!)

Fantastic Four #602 & FF #14
As a last minute decision I have decided to write about these two comics together as they link together so much and would be referring to them both in eachother's preview anyway, so I thought "What the heck?"
In the couple of months leading up to Fantastic Four #600 I was growing a little tired of FF as it was throwing all sorts of random information and characters my way with very little explanation; these were probably perfectly reasonable things for followers of Fantastic Four to be seeing, but only jumping on for Johnny Storm's death and the start of FF I was left very confused.  But boy am I glad I stuck with it!
Fantastic Four #600 was one of my favourite comics of 2011 and, coupled with #601, created an epic story miles better than Fear Itself (a slightly incongruous comparison, but I think it holds up) in only two issues.  The story continues tomorrow when both the Avengers and Fantastic Four (Five?) have to deal with unforeseen consequences of them destroying the Kree armada -  exciting times!
FF has also improved incredibly since it started only trying to tell one story at a time, and concentrated on the kids of the Future Foundation.  At least, it isn't convoluting itself with details that are now in Fantastic Four, which leaves breathing room to tell its half of the story, while it builds up to inevitably tie in with what is going on in Fantastic Four.
I think Jonathan Hickman has hit a really sweet deal in getting two separate books a month, telling one over-arching story, but telling it from two perspectives - 2012 could be a very good year for these two series.

The Mighty Thor #10
Considering this series is relatively new, it's a little odd that Thor has had such a limited presence in this book for the last 4 months or so; but it has just about worked, as young Loki continues to be one of Marvel's finest characters and the 'mystery' behind Tanarus has kept the story chugging along the last two issues.
This issue should see more of Thor as he attempts to escape the Demogorge, a devourer of fallen gods, and somehow make his way back to the correct plane of existence to take his place back among the Asgardians and superheroes of Earth.

Aquaman #5
Arc number two for the new Aquaman series, and it has quite a high bar to meet.  The first four issues were pretty much perfect for introducing the character to new readers - great opening issue explaining Aquaman and how he is perceived; enough backstory/setup to tantalise for future arcs; awesome high-stakes action sequences anchoring the relatively basic plot and keeping it interesting.  Plus he got dog!
Issue five has Aquaman stranded in a desert, with no apparent explanation as to how he got there, and he must fight for survival in one of the harshest environments on the planet - especially to a water-based superhero!

The Flash #5
I was slightly disappointed with the way that the Flash survived being shot in the head (his subconscious reflexes kicked in and the bullet merely scratched him) but I suppose it allowed for character development in that he now knows he must learn to keep his mind fixed on what is real and what are only potential futures he is speedily imagining.
The flashbacks are also providing some decent character development for both Barry and certain side characters, but I feel they are coming a little too often, though not yet so much that they are annoying or disrupt the flow of the story too much.
This has been a very solid series so far, so with the reveal of a new villain in Mob Rule, the tale can only get more exciting from this month on!

Justice League #5
An extra week to wait for this issue means that it really needs to deliver the goods even more so than if it had dropped on schedule.  Last month saw the entire current line-up together at last, with some pretty hilarious banter among the members about who was going to be 'the leader'.  Darkseid was also finally shown to be the first villain of the series in an incredible whole-page spread at the end of the issue.
This is where I believe Justice League is going to get really good; Geoff Johns has paced the issues pretty well and established the team at a comfortable rate, so now is the time for the all-out action sequences and awesome fights!  I may be proven to have been over-optimistic, but I have faith in this comic!

Superman #5
Last month's Superman was a weird one for me, and I found myself flicking back through the pages to see if I had missed something and try make sense of what was going on.  During the enquiry/investigation of the attack from the Ice-Lady, Clark/Superman finds that he is forgetting things and 'waking up' in places without knowing how he got there - maybe this issue will clear some of that up.  There was, however, a pretty neat twist at the end, when you find out the source of the creatures that Superman had been fighting for the previous three issues - I won't spoil it, but it does give a hint to a possible explanation for the memory loss, and potentially is the tie-in to Action Comics that has been hinted at.
Last month wasn't my favourite of the run so far, but it was by no means bad and was almost certainly the calm before the storm of this month's issue...

Also out this week:

Marvel
Astonishing X-Men #46
Avengers: Solo #4
Captain America and Bucky #626
Secret Avengers #21.1
Ultimate Comics Ultimates #6

DC Comics
Batman: The Dark Knight #5
Teen Titans #5

Follow me on Twitter for not-so-occasional insights into the geek world: @IFeed_Dish

Dish Out! 

Dish's Stack is where i talk about the comics i will be buying this week!  Judge my taste all you like, but that's what this is! I will normally focus on my thoughts of previous issues and possible developments, but nevertheless be wary of minor (or possibly major) spoilers if you do not keep very up-to-date with series or previews, but I'll do my best not to reveal anything too surprising

No comments:

Post a Comment