Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Dish's Stack: Marvel and DC Comics 08/02/2012

There was an Amazing Spider-Man out last week that I completely missed in this column - I suppose that's what I get for relying solely on Comic Book Resources' previews to find out what is out in a given week...
Anyway, I most certainly haven't left anything out this week!  The second part of the month-long Venom event is here, as is Spidey's other spin-off-pal Scarlet Spider, where Kaine gets to grips with being a 'hero', and Deadpool gets an event of its own as well, with 'Dead' starting in this week's issue #50.  Read my fore-thoughts on these comics and more after the jump!


BattleScars #4
This series has turned into a nice little secret-ops comic - it has cool action scenes, twists and turns to the story, interesting characters and a central mystery that keeps you coming back.  But that last point is also a hindrance to the series, as without finding out what the big reveal is going to be there is literally no explanation for how Marcus Johnson could possibly do the things he does - he's operating at a Captain America level of skill.  Last issue alone he took down a room of trained killers, kept Deadpool at bay long enough to figure some things out, and even defeated the Taskmaster - a super- merc who, in that very issue, was said to have gone toe-to-toe against Steve Rogers and Hawkeye - who the hell is this guy?  Hints last issue suggest that it all revolves around Marcus' father - and bigger hints from Taskmaster even suggest who likely is Marcus' father.
I am enjoying this series but it's all very nonsensical, even in a comic universe.  Obviously when the mystery is revealed everything will make sense, but getting there is just a tiny bit frustrating.

Deadpool #50
The 'point one' issue for Deadpool last month was really weird - it kind of showed some of the things that have happened to Deadpool in the last couple of years, but it didn't really explain any of them, and most of the time the scene cut away so quickly that there wasn't much to analyse anyway...
I was quite looking forward to seeing how exactly it would be a 'musical' issue, but it merely ended up with dialogue that kind of fit into existing songs, but since I only kind of knew the songs, I didn't get much out of it.
I didn't get many 'point one' issues when they started last year, but this is probably the worst of the lot and wouldn't particularly encourage me to buy Deadpool on a monthly basis if that's the sort of quality we should expect - I feel a one-shot story explaining the premise of Deadpool and his quirkiness would have made a much better jump-on issue.
Luckily (or unluckily depending on how the next few issues go) I had already decided to start getting Deadpool, and it is merely a coincidence that #49.1 was my first issue.  The 'Dead' arc starts this week, and I am really hoping that it is better that the supposed 'introduction' was last month...

Journey into Mystery #634
A new story is finally starting in Journey Into Mystery though Loki is still tidying up after his exploits during 'Fear Itself', though everything major seems to have settled down into the new status quo (just in time for the new event...).
There is a new guy in town, a Daimon Hellstrom, the son of Satan, and he doesn't seem too happy that Loki is walking around alive!  Maybe he didn't get the memo that Loki is a good guy now!
Either way, it appears this issue will play on the cool dynamic going on between Loki and Leah some more, with her coming to his rescue just in the knick of time.  I love a great double-team, and these two seem a perfect balance of naivety and wisdom, and playful and serious, and they make for great reading every month.
I've said it before, and I'll likely say it every couple of months or so after this, but I really hope this series stays Loki-focused and Thor stays in his The Mighty... series, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Scarlet Spider #2
Off the top of my head I don't remember an awful lot about the first Scarlet Spider issue, so I guess that says quite a lot..  I do remember quite enjoying it at the time though, so that's something..
Anyway, waffle over!  Last issue seemed very disjointed but a lot did happen in the issue, so that's slightly forgivable I suppose.  We saw Kaine hitchhiking his way to Houston; he busted a drug deal and took the money from it; he went webslinging around the city, proclaiming he never knew it would be so fun; and he also saved an old woman from being run over by a truck, killing/maiming the driver in the process - like I said, disjointed.
This book kind of has a lot of pressure on it to be good, what with so many Spider-Man series out at the moment, and I don't feel like the first issue quite cut it.  But it being Spidey's 50th anniversary I'm sure this series knows exactly what it's doing and will pick up soon enough.

Venom #13.1
I thought issue #13 was a great beginning to an event - it introduced the characters individually, all doing their own thing, with internal monologue exposition explaining their reasons for being in Las Vegas.  It didn't feel too forced, yet gave enough information so that you didn't feel like any of them were just dumped into the story for the sake of it.
The villains and the threat they pose have enough gravitas to them so that you know the world is in trouble, and maybe more than the four heroes will be able to handle - especially since with the end of last issue came the introduction of four 'antitheses' for our heroes to do battle with (presumably stretched out over the next few issues, since they look cool enough to carry an issue each).
My only problem with the issue was the artwork.  There wasn't anything particularly bad about it, it just really didn't push my buttons - maybe I'll get used to it, so long as it stays consistent.
Overall, I did really enjoy the issue, so I'm glad I get weekly doses of Venom for the next month or so!

Batman and Robin #6
This story went in a completely different direction to what I was expecting - I assumed Damian (Robin) was going to meet and train with 'Nobody' in secret, so his turn-coating was going to subtly build up until it would be unleashed a couple of months down the line.  But it has turned out to be a minor case of kidnapping and brainwashing.  Damian is, though having had an accelerated education/upbringing/childhood, is still very young, so quite fallible to these sorts of enticing offers - to let him do things his own way - so it's reasonable enough to believe that this could happen.  However, with it all happening so quickly, it's also reasonable to believe that his switching of sides will not last much more than this issue or the next..
I'm quite liking this series, and look forward to it more than most of the other DC titles I get, but I feel like they might have missed a trick if they resolve this pretty interesting idea too quickly.  Maybe this week's issue will slow things down a little..

Green Lantern #6
The first arc for Green Lantern ended last issue, and it was all pretty predictable if you had been paying the mildest bit of attention throughout the precious issues.  Sinestro is just as 'clever', 'manipulating' and 'arrogant' as you are supposed to think he is, but a lot of the time it felt really forced, but I couldn't put my finger on why...
Anyway, I don't really have an awful lot to say about this series, it has not left much of an impression on me at all......and yet I can't bring myself to drop it.  I know this series has potential, and the hinting towards a big 'event' coming involving a new 'army' to come and replace the Green Lantern Corps is too intriguing for me to drop this comic right now.  So it survives for a while longer; but if the next few issues aren't up to scratch, no matter how compelled I am to find out about the mysterious new army, I will be dropping this comic.


Also out this week:

Marvel
Captain America #8
Carnage U.S.A #3
Incredible Hulk #4
Secret Avengers #22
Wolverine and The X-Men #5
Wolverine and The X-Men: Alpha and Omega #2
X-Men #24

DC Comics
Batgirl #6
Batwoman #6
Resurrection Man #6
Superboy #6


Follow me on Twitter for not-so-occasional insights into the geek world: @IFeed_Dish

Dish Out! 

Dish's Stack is where i talk about the comics i will be buying this week!  Judge my taste all you like, but that's what this is! I will normally focus on my thoughts of previous issues and possible developments, but nevertheless be wary of minor (or possibly major) spoilers if you do not keep very up-to-date with series or previews, but I'll do my best not to reveal anything too surprising

No comments:

Post a Comment