Pages

Saturday 31 December 2011

InfinityFeed's Best Movies of 2011



This year has seen a lot of big releases, so here at InfinityFeed we decided to pick our most loved movies of the year and share them with you lovely people. Let us know if you agree with our choices or if you think we may have overlooked something you loved.


Dash
I watched a lot of movies this year, I had to actually google a list of what was released to remember everything. It took me some time to decide between all the awesome that I had the pleasure to watch but I finally decided.

Film of the year:



Super 8
I imagine this would not be most peoples first choice of movie for this year, what with the many super hero movies that were released, but I loved it. The film drags us back to a time when character development and storytelling were more important than big bangs and loud noises. JJ Abrams managed to achieve a charm found in old school Spielberg flicks like E.T. or Close Encounters which we don’t see enough of anymore. The film has everything; suspense, intrigue, iconic moments (come on...a tank in a playground), action, romance and even a bit of horror. Even the acting was great, the kids weren't the Barbie and Ken kids which dominate Hollywood now a days but they seemed real and flawed if not just a little too accepting of the insane situation that they were in. I highly recommend this movie, if you haven’t seen it yet, stop reading, take a breath, finish this article, look around the site a bit more and once you have commented a lot, rent this movie!

Honourable mentions:
Captain America: The First Avenger
Never been a big Cap fan but I loved this movie, it is a huge step up from the old Reb Brown version which is just embarrassing. It had me engrossed from the very beginning and is by far my favourite super hero movie of all time...so far!
Rise of the Planet of the Apes
I wasn’t expecting to enjoy this but I was pleasantly surprised. It really made you care for Cesar and the other characters, I could really understand how the Chimp felt and why he staged a mass monkey revolt. They clearly tried to keep it closer to the original rather than that terrible remake which was nice cos did I mention the remake was terrible?

Shep
This has been a really bad year for me movie wise, I have hardly been to the cinema during 2011, in fact I think I went to the cinema 4 times, and 3 of those were to see Captain America. Which kind of makes my choice for Film of the year a little redundant.

Film of the year:
Captain America: The First Avenger.
Surprise! Completely out of the blue I know. Similar to Dash I have never been much of a Captain America fan as I always found it typical of American arrogance to name the super soldier of the allied forces after their own country, but I knew enough of the back story to know what to expect. My mind was blown, everything about this film was fantastic with excellent performances from Chris Evans, Hayley Atwell and Tommy Lee Jones making it all the more believable. This was the film the Reb Brown one would have been had they crossed it with the outlandishness found in Yor: hunter from the future (also Reb Brown). Check out the clip found below and just imagine this dude dressed as Captain America instead of a caveman:



That is how good this film is. Even if there never was a giant bat to handglide on.

Honourable mentions:
Rise of the Planet of the Apes.
I watched the two Planet of the Apes films (including the shitty one with Mark Wahlberg) in preparation for seeing this film. It did not disappoint as it was obviously closer linked into the original, good Planet of the Apes film, rather than the shitty, Mark Wahlberg version.
Paranormal Activity 3.
I’m a total mark for the Paranormal Activity films, the only way I could possibly enjoy them more would be if they had zombies in them too. When Paranormal Activity 4 is released I can pretty much guarantee that I’ll see it.

Dish
Well, I might be slightly annoyed at having been double-ninja’d with the Captain America film, but that’s what i get for not being around this evening I suppose.  Nonetheless, there were plenty of other awesome films out this year, so I don’t feel too hard done by!

Film Of The Year:
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Please don’t call me lazy, but where was I tonight?  Watching this movie...  Be as cynical as you like about me picking a film I only saw a couple of hours ago my best of the year, but I think this is an outstanding movie.  I have not read any of the books, or seen the original Swedish version, so I cannot even dream of comparing it to any of these, but I was blown away by it all the same.
At its heart, this is an old-school murder mystery being investigated by an old-school investigative journalist and his 21st Century girl-hacker partner.  You can tell this is the first part of a trilogy because the film really takes its time in giving an identity to both characters - revealing certain details so we know their motivations, but keeping enough back to maintain intrigue - and it is over an hour into the film before their paths even cross.
It is such dark and edgy film, but what else would you expect from David Fincher? It really wasn’t afraid to show every disturbing detail of a story that was truly unnerving in parts, and I really cannot think of anyone who could have handled this better than the director of Se7en.  There are a couple of scenes that would make the stoutest of people uncomfortable, but they are so well put together that you are unable to tear your eyes from the screen.
I think the best way to sum this movie up is to say that not much will surprise you, but almost everything will shock you.  Great film (I hear Reb Brown was in the original though).

Honourable Mentions:
The Adjustment Bureau
This year it seemed like every Philip K Dick story was getting a film or a reboot (which is, of course, no bad thing), and this film was a good example of why he is still a relevant story-teller.  This is an interesting tale that explores the philosophies of fate and free-will, and was an easy one to miss if you weren’t paying attention this year - definitely one I’d recommend people see.
Paul
Simon Pegg is a bona fide movie star nowadays, featuring in both the Mission Impossible and the Star Trek franchises, but it is great to see him still buddy-ing up with Nick Frost for hilarious romps like this!  Hilarious film from start to finish - definitely my comedy of the year!


Biebs
Whilst I may not be the most avid gamer or comic book reader the one thing I am is a film buff, and this year has seen some truly amazing films. True, we also have had some absolutely diabolical ones, the worst of which was a certain ring wielding Ryan Reynolds film that left me yearning for the memory eraser from Men in Black. But this is not a worst film list but our best film, and my choice is,...

Film of the Year:
Paul
This light hearted film comes from the comic genius of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, and even though it's not part of their trilogy with Edgar Wright it is still one of the pairs best films. The brilliance of this film comes from the way that Pegg and Frost manage to create some truly believable characters. They have taken the stereotypical geek image and thrown it out the window, creating characters firmly based in reality, they are just normal guys that you might see on the street, in a highly abnormal situation. This coupled with the pairs unique style of humour makes for some truly hilarious moments, that have to be seen to be believed. In essence this film is a true salute to the Sci-Fi genre, and has parodies, cameos and hidden homage's to all the great films. I will never forget seeing this at the cinema and being instantly able to identify the geeks in the room laughing along when they saw one of this films many hidden gems. This may be its one down fall, as it will only be truly appreciated by those that know the insider jokes. But thankfully I am one of these lucky few and if you like what you have seen so far on the site, I can safely say you are too.

Honourable Mentions:
Sucker Punch
This film has received mixed reviews all round but I must say I liked it. It's arty style of action and glamour made it feel much like a video game, whilst also containing a gripping and truly harrowing story. Whilst not for every body's taste the film is definitely worth a look, I mean what film isn't fun that has machine gun wielding giant samurai and dragons.
Limitless
Had it not been for Paul this would have been my top film, it is a highly engaging and truly original thriller. This is easily one of Bradley Cooper's best roles, and whilst not as mind blowing as say Inception was the ideas and concepts that the film raises stay in your mind for quite some time.

Look out for more film insights from me in the new year as each month I take a look at the best and brightest new releases at the cinema.

Pixel Punk
As it turns out, I’ve not actually been to the cinema much this year due to my disdain of paying way over the odds for films, only released in pointless 3D. However, there were two definite stand outs for me.

Film of the Year:
Captain America: The First Avenger
I admit, I was never a fan of Captain America until I played the ‘Marvel Ultimate Alliance’ games or after seeing Ultimate Captain America declare ‘You think this letter on my head stands for France?!’
Not only is this film an excellent way to introduce new fans to Cap, as well as pleasing existing fans, but it is quite possibly some of the best work to come out of Marvel Studios yet...until The Avengers is out!
Did you know that the video game released around the same time as the film is actually one of the most enjoyable games I’ve played all year? I may have already mentioned that.

Honourable Mentions:
Thor
I know it’s yet another Marvel film, but to be honest this was only just pipped to the post by Captain America. Thor is easily one of my favourite characters of all time and telling his story on the big screen wasn’t going to be an easy task. I was definitely skeptical when Kenneth Brannagh was put at the helm, but I trusted him. Then Chris Hemsworth, from Australian soap opera ‘Home and Away’, was cast as the big man himself; which made me start to worry.
Once teaser pictures and trailers were slowly released, my fears began to subside and I’m quite comfortable in proclaiming Mr Brannagh a genius. As an added bonus, I challenge anyone not to laugh when watching Thor visit the pet store.
In Time
I’m probably going to get a lot of stick for this one, but to be honest I really enjoyed it.
The beginning of the film has the worst ever explanation as to why everyone stops ageing at 25 and uses time as a currency, but ignore that and just watch the film based on its plot and characters.
I’m also bound to get a lot of stick for saying that, in my opinion, Justin Timberlake’s acting has come a very long way. Sure, he made some terrible films at first, but now I consider him an actor more than a singer.
An extra fun fact for any fan of the Buffy spin-off, Angel, is that Angel’s son, Connor, finally gets a slightly more high exposure acting role.


So that's it for 2011, check us out in 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment