Pages

Tuesday 6 March 2012

The Infinite Stream 06/03/2012

The Infinite Stream is where we post about items that are news-worthy but do not necessarily require their own full article.  Check after the jump for news from 06/03/2012!  



Minecraft's Notch to receive special BAFTA award
Until I read the source article for this piece of news, I didn't realise just how long Minecraft had been around.  I jumped on the bandwagon just over a year ago, but this May the game will have been around for 3 years!
Anyway, in recognition of all that Markus 'Notch' Persson has done for game development and the indie game scene, BAFTA have decided to award Notch a special award!
At first I thought this award was potentially coming a little prematurely, because it's easy to forget just how much of an impact Notch and Minecraft have had on the videogame industry in such a short time.  A champion of indie gaming as a whole and a pioneer of a more open approach to game development, it's not too far fetched to call Notch one of the most influential figures in the industry today - rubbing shoulders with Shigeru Miyamoto and/or Gabe Newell.  Whatever you're opinion of this man and his game, it's difficult to say he doesn't deserve it!


Spider-Man gets bizarre tie-in product - Nail Polish!



A couple of months ago I wrote about how the Avengers' tie-in perfume/aftershave set was possibly the strangest piece of merchandise I had seen - well now it has competition from another Marvel brand!
The product on the right is indeed a set of several colours of nail-polish, and with names like "Call Me Gwen-ever", "My Boyfriend Scales Walls" and "Your Web Or Mine" I can see these flying off shelves in the near future!
Call me cynical, but slapping movie-based names on the same old red/pink/white etc. varieties of nail polish seems a shameless and unnecessary cash-grab!  But clearly not being the target audience for such a product, I'm sure OPI don't exactly care what I think...

The Amazing Spider-Man is out in cinemas worldwide in July


Diablo 3 out April 17th?
Forgive the exclamatory headline but, if true, this is pretty massive news.  Though it seems I somehow missed the news as it was spreading yesterday, it has been reported by several sources, including a swiftly removed leak from Amazon, that Blizzard's latest click-fest dungeon-crawler will be out on April 17th - a mere six weeks away!
Blizzard previously announced that the game would definitely not hit a 2012 Q1 release date, so April would be the first possible time after this.  Jay Wilson of Blizzard, though declining to comment on the leak, also stated via Twitter, on a scale of one to ten (ten being imminent), that a Diablo 3 announcement is a "9".
I have my doubts about this 'leak' personally, despite its seeming legitimacy.  Six weeks is not an awful long time to prepare for a game release, which would need to include pressing CDs, distribution and marketing - though the game is one of the most anticipated releases of the year!  If Blizzard are expecting most people to buy the game digitally, then I can potentially see this working, but the market for Special/Collector's editions will be massive and something I'm sure Activision will make sure is taken advantage of.
Some 'official' information should be heading our way soon enough I suppose; and I don't really mind when the game comes out, so long as I can finish Mass Effect 3 first...

(Via SlashGear)




Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter! Pwese

No comments:

Post a Comment