Pages

Tuesday 15 November 2011

Dash on ... How I Met Your Mother 'Tick, Tick, Tick'




How I met your Mother Season 7 Episode 10




So everything has been going great for the gang recently, Marshal and Lilly are having a baby, Robin is with a well adjusted genuinely nice guy called Kevin, Barney somehow found himself a girl who is actually good for him and Ted... well Ted is as he always is. So of course some drama was overdue in order to mess up the happy dynamic.

BUT WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE THIS?

I will warn you now !!!!SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!!!!

If you haven't been watching How I Met Your Mother for the past six years you may not understand my frustration, in fact even if you have been watching you still may not understand why I hate Robin and Barney!
Ok so individually I don't hate them, everyone knows Barney stole the show from the beginning but together I just can't stand them.  I know it's obvious that Robin is going to be the bride at Barney's wedding and they will live happily ever after... blah blah blah but I say bullshit and bullshit again. This off again on again, will they won't they crap is old I mean Ross and Rachel old and needs to be stopped.

The episode starts with Barney and Robin waking up in bed together, they both freak out and feel bad for cheating. This whole scene just seemed terrible to me, it just made Barney look like a brainless idiot making stupid comments while Robin yet again suggested the 'this never happened' thing, 'cos we all know how well that worked out last time.

There is something about these two characters together that grates me. I understand the need for character development and Robin has managed to get over her control issues and is ready for a proper relationship; and Barney has matured into a well adjusted nineteen year old.  But that does not mean they have to end up together. In 'The Naked-Man' Marshall called slut, well I call slut again but this time it isn't just clothes that stands in the way, it is just a matter of proximity. Their relationship lasted just the right amount of time in the first place, it messed up the dynamic of the group, leaving Ted to be the outcast with no one to turn to, they ended it at the right point and that should have been it. This episode also showed Robin to be a bigger bitch than she has ever been before, and she left the group to be with Don...DON!!!! After admitting that she wanted to be with Barney they both agreed to break off their relationships and be together, Barney does what he feels is right and tells Nora the truth in what actually was a very mature moment for Barney. Robin on the other hand decides to not tell Kevin after he tells her he loves her. Has she decided she likes Kevin more than Barney or does she simply have graduation goggles?

Moving on to the part which made this episode great, Ted, Marshal and Lilly go to 'Groovapalooza', and light up a great big sandwich, of course Lilly doesn't have any being pregnant and all (though it's surprising her baby doctor hasn't told her she can have 'just a little bit'), leaving Ted and Marshal to devour the whole thing leading to what has been one of the funniest moments of the show this season.

Ted and Marshal wander around trying to find nachos for Lilly, they keep queuing for the ladies' bathroom instead and wandering around the arena. To be fair this wasn't all that great once the joke had been done once, but the pay off was a masterpiece. After wandering around for hours, eventually finding nachos but missing the concert they find Lilly who reveals that in fact they had been gone a grand total of... two minutes. It then follows to show those two minutes from the vantage point of a security camera. For me this is the highlight of this season, I didn't see it coming and it refreshed a rather overdone joke. Also it was nice to see some Ted and Marshal bonding for once, I miss their adventures almost as much as Barney's.

So obviously I am not looking forward to this story arc and I hope they resolve it quickly and get back to some Ted centric stuff. Maybe with a few wild adventures thrown in there too. Well check back next week to read my thoughts on the next episode.

Follow me on twitter @ifeed_Dash

2 comments:

  1. Now Barney wants to be serious and Robin is going the other way. Drama, drama, drama; I think this show must appeal to women who appreciate romantic notions more than men. I wish I could say that the only reason I watch the show though is because my wife watches it but now I’m hooked. As usual I didn’t watch this episode live because it is silly to even try when my schedule is so crazy. I can’t be thankful enough this Thanksgiving for my DISH employee Sling adapter because I watched this episode when I was at the DMV. It’s too convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, they do seem to be trying to appeal to women more recently. Back in the old days when Barney was trying to have sex with anything that moved using crazier and crazier schemes and the guys got up to lots of adventures it appealed to the male sensibility much more. But now they seem to be concentrating more on serious love lives of all the characters, I think we get enough of that from Ted and his on going quest to find 'the one'. Hopefully it will be toned down a bit and we will see more stuff like Ted and Marshals 'sandwich' adventure.

    ReplyDelete